English Language Arts–Learning to read is using strategies and skills to decode and understand what is read. Kindergartners also improve writing and speaking skills as they learn to:
- Hear, say and blend sounds
- Build reading and writing concepts
- Learn and use new words
- Communicate needs, feelings and ideas.
-Read without hesitation 70+ sightwords
_Read at Level D or higher by May
Mathematics is problem solving, reasoning, communicating, showing solutions in many ways and connecting to the real world. Kindergartners learn to:
- Read, write, compare and order whole numbers
- Use multiple counting strategies
- Identify, copy, and continue simple patterns
- Sort objects by shape, color, or length.
-Listen to a story problem and use manipulatives to figure out the answer for both addition and subtraction problems
-Be familiar with math tools-ruler, dice, dominoes, calculator, rocker balance, money, tallies,scale etc
Science is observing, comparing, sequencing, describing and communicating to investigate the world. Kindergartners will:
- Find out about organisms’ basic needs
- Learn about our world by making observations and asking questions
- Use the properties of wood fabric and paper to construct useful and creative projects.
-Using the Foss Science kits (Wood,Paper and Fabric) learn to sort objects by variouus properties and how these properties effct how people use them
Social Studies, in primary grades, is integrating social studies and English Language Arts to help students better understand the world in which we live. Kindergartners learn about themselves and others in:
- Place and geography: Where in the world?
- Chronology/time in order: When in time?
- Universals of culture: In what ways and why do cultures differ from one another?
- Vocabulary: What words help describe our world?
_Learn position and direction words
Arts Education is about creating, performing and responding through Visual and Performing Arts. Kindergartners learn to:
- Explore materials to discover and play with basic elements of visual art
- Experiment with music and sound using rhythm instruments
- Repeat simple movement patterns.
Health is developing the skills, knowledge and confidence to make good choices for personal health. Kindergartners learn to:
- Discuss feelings
- Demonstrate proper technique for hand-washing and brushing teeth
- Recognize the categories of the Food Pyramid.
-Understand basic nutrition
-Be able to recite their address and phone number
Physical Education is developing the skills, knowledge and confidence to make good decisions for personal fitness. Kindergartners learn to:
- Experience the joy of play
- Share equipment, cooperate and show respect of others
- Develop body control and use personal space safely
- Play simple games by the rules.
World Languages is learning to communicate in another language and appreciate other cultures. In kindergarten, students will use the target language as they:
- Ask and respond to simple questions about familiar topics
- Participate in age-appropriate cultural activities (i.e., songs, stories)
- Recognize and imitate familiar words
- Identify and label familiar items.
Instructional Media and Technology is helping students learn to:
- Select appropriate books, check, out and care for them
- Examine how pictures, charts and graphs help tell a story or relate facts
- Find and communicate information in different ways
- Use appropriate computer applications for certain tasks.
Back to Ms. Olson's Home Page
5330 13th Av S. Minneapolis, MN 55417
Telephone: 612.668.3760 | Fax: 612.668.3770